Most people have most likely seen varying types of this sort of project somewhere. I’ve seen multiple versions myself, and a couple of months back I thought that I would do my own for my guest bathroom. I had a perfect small canvas print that I wasn’t using anymore, so I put it in my “various objects that I think I might use for a project someday” bin (this might or might not be the first thing I’ve pulled out of there). I saw the “quote” I chose a while back and happened to recall it, thinking it would be perfect for this little undertaking.
Since I didn’t look up a specific tutorial, I thought I would share my process.
- Piece of art (canvas, wood, paper, etc.)
- Letter stickers
- Paint (spray or acrylic)
- Ruler or straight edge
First, I measured the canvas and identified even areas in which to place my stickers. I decided on my margins (.5 inch all the way around), then divided the remaining measurement by four since that’s how many lines I needed for my quote. I marked my lines (using a ruler for a straight line) on the canvas with a pencil and didn’t have to worry about erasing the lines since I would be painting over the markings later. I ended up with four boxes.
Second, I adhered the stickers to the canvas. I decided not to be as tedious with spacing and such here, so I just eyeballed (weird verb) the center of each box and placed my stickers accordingly. It was somewhat helpful to start in the middle of each word and move out, but I still had to reposition some letters because not all of my stickers were the same width. Speaking of repositioning stickers, the stickers I used were thick and not very sticky, so they came off pretty easy. This was nice in relation to the ease of changing their placement, but not nice when they started coming off. So, I turned it upside down and set a couple of heavy boxes on it overnight.
Third, I spray painted the canvas. I had a little bit of both white and ivory spray paint left over from a previous project, so I used both. My stickers still did not stick on the very edges in some places, so I tried my best to spray more directly over the canvas versus at more of an angle (but I also determined I would be okay if the letters did not have perfectly crisp lines…glad I did). I intentionally didn’t spray the edges, so they just got some light overspray. After I attained the paint coverage I wanted on the project, I let it dry then brought it in for the reveal.